Monday 7 June 2010

Finished College

I've just realised that I have the grand total of two posts for May. I am so far behind with writing book reviews its untrue. Still, I have had a lot of college work to do, so I hope you'll forgive me. Shall try to catch up a bit now I've finished college, but I highly doubt I'll manage to review absolutely everything I've read--I can't even remember half the books I've read...

However, it now being too late to do anything about that, I shall write about some other news. You can probably guess what it is from the title of my post. Yes, I have now finished my time at Cardinal Newman College. And what a time! Since starting college in September 2008, I have made dozens of new friends, learnt a heck of a lot, and had a fantastic time. The atmosphere at college has always been great, and while I do feel ready to move on, I'm certainly going to miss it. Of course, I still have to go in for six more exams, so I've not really finished yet. Nevertheless, it won't be the same now that I've no more lessons. I'll have to get a job over the summer holidays, if that's possible. Failing that, I'll do volunteer work instead (going to try and do some volunteer work anyway though--it's the only way of getting experience in museums or libraries).

The last day at college was certainly sad, but it was also, in many ways, a celebration of all that it has been. Unfortunately, I had an exam (Romans) first thing, so I missed some of my short lessons. However, I was done in plenty of time for both Modern History and the Leaver's Mass. Newman could really teach my old high school a thing or two about how to conduct a service that's actually worth listening to! Managed not to cry, helped by the fun drama, up beat songs, and general cheerfulness of the whole event. Afterwards, college put on a buffet lunch for all us leavers, so we sat on the grass and ate. Great fun, and a memory I know I will hold forever.

I've certainly changed a lot over the past two years (well, almost two years) at college. I feel a lot more confident, I'm more cheerful, and I've met a lot of new people and learnt plenty about the world. I have to confess I used to think Catholics were boring, rule following Christians who were more focussed on law than relationship with God. Having met Father Jim, I don't think it's possible to hold onto that prejudice! Particularly when he came cheerfully into my Monday morning RE lesson the other week and upon being asked how he could be so happy, replied 'I'm high on Jesus'.

So, there it is. The end of my time at Newman, and the start of something new... University! Well, soon enough at any rate.

No comments: