Saturday 3 October 2009

Ice Station Zebra

I don't think I've reviewed this before, but it definitely wasn't the first time I've read it. By Alaistar MacLean, it has, like all of his book, plenty of excitement, unexpected twists, and intriguing characters. MacLean really is one of the greatest thriller writers ever--even though you'd expect his books to now feel out of date, they're still just as interesting as ever (although having seen the film of one of them, I must confess I found that one rather out of date...). This one involves a mission to the Arctic, to Ice Station Zebra, a meteorological station, in a nuclear submarine. The base has suffered a devastating fire, and the submarine is in a desperate race to find thin ice where they can surface, close enough to the Station that they can give effective rescue. But when they get there, all is not as it seems. Somebody set the fire deliberately. And of those killed, not all of them merely died from the fire. Some were shot, including the narrator's own brother.

A brilliant read, it's fast-paced throughout, and with plenty of unexpected twists. I'd certainly recommend it.

No comments: