Saturday 3 October 2009

Too Black, Too Strong

I don't often read poetry. In fact, this is the second book of poetry I've ever read voluntarily. I just happened to see it on the shelf in the library, on a special poetry display, and I've enjoyed Benjamin Zephaniah's books since reading Refugee Boy at high school (and a couple of others after enjoying that one loads). I'd heard some of his poetry before too. Anyway, I really enjoyed it. For all the not reading poetry thing, his poetry is really good. There was a nice range of topics in his book, and it has a real ring to it. I think it's probably even better to listen to, but reading it was good. It's got a lot of rhythm to it, and the words are words that you hear everyday. It feels contemporary, as well as dealing with contemporary issues--racism, crime, life in general. I read one or two every day until I'd finished the book, quite often reading them while my computer was switching on. Unlike some poetry, it doesn't take a huge amount of effort to understand what he's saying, but it's hard-hitting, brilliant.

So, there is the first poetry review I've ever written on this blog. I'd certainly recommend it, although if you can get it on tape/cd, that would be even better.

No comments: