Saturday 3 October 2009

The Tiger Warrior

I enjoyed this one. The most recent by Alan Gibbons, it was brilliant. The descriptions of the 'lost' Roman legion was brilliant, and it blended the story of the ancient warriors with that of Jack Howard and his team of archaeologists. They're following in the footsteps of Jack's great-great-grandfather, in an attempt to unravel an ancient mystery. It's the fourth book in the series, and they just keep getting better. Atlantis was the first, and (amazingly for me), I've read the series in the order they were actually published, rather than in a totally random order as I've managed to find them from the library. I love the character of Jack Howard as well as the action and the descriptions of the ancient world (and the not quite so ancient world), and this book allows greater insight into his character. He's quite enigmatic, and so you find yourself rereading any detail of his former life with intense interest (or at least, I do :D). You also meet Jack's daughter for the first time (I never knew he had one... Maybe I missed something? Or maybe it's just another feature of Jack's past that he keeps quiet about.). To a certain extent, I thought Rebecca was a poor character, but that might just be in contrast with Jack who's a lot more developed. At any rate, I'd highly recommend this book and the rest in the series.

No comments: