Wednesday 15 October 2008

Writing update

As you maybe noticed, I'm participating in Nanowrimo this year, as of November First. Until then, I'm working on about a bazillion projects at once. I'm working on a gothicy novel, set in an alternate reality which isn't hugely different to Victorian Britain although England has conquered a lot more of the world and there's a different religion. Plus the existence of magic. Although it's debateable whether the magic I've referred to exists for real in this world. I'm inclined towards 'yes, it does'. Anyway. That's quite fun. I've done a fair bit of work on re-writing Winged Fire, which is turning out very different and quite good fun. What else? I wrote a short story for the W-Factor (my old school newspaper, they asked me, I thought 'why not?'). I'm working on two stories about Ash simultaneously. One inspired by the English Lit coursework I decided to do several months early, or maybe not quite that early, but still well before we were asked to, and so it's about when Ash first becomes a cop. It's quite fun to write, because there's a lot of conflict there and he's still very rough and tumble, living on the streets and who cares what happens to me? A lot of that's still present with the first book I wrote about him, about two years after he joins the cops, but it's interesting to me how different he is, how the rough edges have been knocked off him by the time I started the first one. The other one I'm working on is what was the second book, but now probably isn't, because I've been working on that on and off for ages and ages and ages. Anything else? I think that's about it. Don't quite know what I'll do for Nano. I have a couple of ideas floating around now, shall see where they end up taking me. I think either a full-on sci fi, set around Saturn, or a proper fantasy I've been trying to write for a while but have never quite managed to pull off. Or maybe I'll go with an action one. Who knows? I probably won't decide until the day it starts.

No comments: