Saturday 19 December 2009

First Day of Work!

Well, today was the first ever day I spent in paid employment--everything else I've done has been volunteer. So it was kind of my fourth separate job (Oxfam bookshop, Bethany House, Museum of Lancashire in the summer, and now this). I have to admit I was a little nervous. My ankle was really sore last night, and I wasn't convinced I was going to manage working. It stopped hurting during the night (or at least, it was fine when I woke up), but as soon as I stepped out of bed it hurt again. Meh. Anyway, I had some painkiller and stuck this bandage thing on it and I was fine. So I did a nine till six day today, though the morning was all training. Pretty much common sense, but I guess they have to make sure, just in case people don't have any common sense. I'm pretty tired now, I'm gonna go and read. I've got the D-Day book by Antony Beevor which is supposedly pretty revisionist, but so far it seems to be saying basically the same things that Overlord by Max Hastings said. We shall have to see. It, did, however, talk about the parachutist stranded in Saint Mere Eglise who got stuck on the bell tower of the church and pretended to be dead. Which may not sound so exciting, until you realise that I stayed there when I went on holiday to Normandy, and the man who owned the chateau we were renting had seen him hanging there! Actually, to be fair, there are a couple of small things that are different, though they're both just as readable. Beevor does point out too that most of the fighting in Normandy was actually killing a higher proportion of men in divisions than the war in the East over the same sort of period, which I found quite stunning. Of course, there were far more troops involved in the East. Anyway, I'll let you know when I've finished reading it.

No comments: