Monday 3 January 2011

Ice Age 2

I suddenly realised that I hadn't actually watched this film, despite the fact we have it on DVD.  And after reading a chapter of 'On Collecting', I felt like I needed some light relief.

I thoroughly enjoyed it actually.  It was a good follow up plot to the original, amusing and Manny in particular was well developed.  I love that mammoth :)  Sid was...  Well, he was Sid.  An irritating younger brother, like mine when he was a bit younger (now he's a lovelorn teenager!).  The new twins were interesting, added an additional comedic element although that was pretty well supplied by Sid (and the squirrel.  Mustn't forget the sabre-toothed squirrel).  I liked the new mammoth, thought she was well portrayed and very amusing with her decision that she really was a possum, in spite of her tree problems...

The only jarring note was the ending.  In fact, I felt the ending would've been better skipped out completely.  The last scene with the squirrel was unnecessary, a little confusing, and took away from what could have been a very strong ending with the extended 'pack' heading off together.  The sabre-toothed squirrel is fine as a short, and as a comical note of relief, but I felt it was overdone a little and especially so in the ending.  Unnecessary is the only way I can describe it.  Fine as an extra bonus feature, or even after the credits, but it ruined the ending somewhat.

Sid and Dieago made a good pairing, constantly antagonising each other, although I think Diego was a stronger character in the first movie--although to be fair, it's impossible to develop equally  wide range of new characters and I think they did a good job of keeping continuity with the first whilst introducing three new characters.

In short, it was a film that I thoroughly enjoyed watching, and while not perhaps quite as good as the first, certainly comparable.  I shall have to see if I can get the third out the library now...

No comments: