Tuesday 11 January 2011

Speed II - Cruise Control

It was on TV, I watched it.  Wasn't feeling well, but it was the perfect escapist thriller.  Lots of big explosions, a plot that was your standard thriller plot, it ticked all the boxes without being exceptional.  Enjoyable, sure, but not memorable in the same way as Inception or as huge as Transformers II.

What is there to say?  Cruise ship, terrorist type chap shutting down all the computer systems at will, and a rather spectacular ending sequence with exploding oil tankers and ships running aground (although this did somewhat stretch the credibility--I seriously doubt the ship could have got even half as far as it did).  The girlfriend was your stereotypical screaming American girl, who didn't seem to grasp the seriousness of the situation half the time, and basically acted like a half wit for the vast majority of the movie.  Amusing though.  Main character was something of a stereotype too, but convincingly enough acted.  If it's on TV again I'll probably watch it again, but I won't be rushing out to buy it.  (That said, I must confess that I couldn't leave the telly while it was on, and the ad breaks turned this into what felt like something of a marathon watching session--though that might just be because I don't tend to watch that much in the way of films).

No comments: