Tuesday 14 July 2009

Band of Brothers

Wow was this good. Non-fiction, but so well written it might as well not have been. I love Stephen Ambrose's stuff, it's brilliant (he was the one who wrote Pegasus Bridge which kept me up till two in the morning). Anyway, this is the story of E Company of the 101st Airborne Regiment, and it is good. Very good. Drawing mainly upon interviews for its information, it tells the whole story of the regiment, from its formation to its disbandment, including what happened to the members afterwards. I don't want to say too much about the actual content, because I really think you should read it. Apparently it was also a film/television series, and I can well understand that. It's a truly brilliant book, telling a fantastically dramatic story, made even more interesting by virtue of the fact that it's true. This is the sort of history book I love reading. Vibrant writing, plenty of action and drama, and you feel like you get to know the characters involved. I love it.

No comments: