Saturday 27 March 2010

The Lazarus Strain

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this book yet. I must be about a million bazillion books behind! Well, I'm in a bit of a productive mood just now, I might manage a couple more reviews tonight. And I've read several more by this author because I really enjoyed it.

A fascinating medical thriller, it features ex-Special Forces medic Stephan Dunbar in the slightly obscure government department SciMed. Its brief is to investigate problems involving science and/or medicine, as the police force cannot reasonably be expected to keep up to date with all the latest advances in science and medicine, and sometimes a spot of spare expertise is helpful. Fascinating twists and turns, along with a brilliant plot involving terrorists, biological weapons, animal rights activists, and a diabolical plot to wreak havoc with Western political systems. Added to a great main character who doesn't read like a cardboard cut out of a stereotypical hero, and plenty of action, it's a gripping read. Very glad I picked it up despite the fact I'd never read anything by him before--I don't often buy books if I've not read something by the author previously. I don't have the space any more to just buy anything that takes my fancy--it has to be something I'm likely to read again. But I took a chance because it sounded interesting, and I'm pleased to say the chance paid off.

Highly recommended, I've read a couple in the Steven Dunbar series and not yet been even slightly disappointed, although I've not tried any of the ones not in the series yet.

No comments: