Thursday 12 June 2008

Artemis Fowl 6 - The Time Paradox

So. I've read it now. And it is absolutely brilliant. I mean, the time-travel in The Lost Colony was impressive, as were the battles and the plot, but this just topped it. I love the lemur, though I'm not sure he should seem quite so sentient. And surely the drop would've hurt Artemis and the creatures a little. The time-travel thing is well resolved, very cleverly done. The person who read it before me translated the code at the bottom. Apparently it's amusing and worth reading. However, it does need another book. He just cannot end the series like that though. There's the unresolved villain thing floating around. So in a way, he has left a bit of a paradox to puzzle over. I can see the set up for real villainy though, and it's just perfect for another book. I love how Holly gets to talk to Root again too and say goodbye. I still think Holly and Artemis belong together though. Somehow. It's a shame Artemis... Well, I'd probably better not say about that, but it is a shame. It's one of the great unanswered questions you see, and I'd feel rotten spoiling it for someone even if it does happen somewhere pretty early on in the book. The Kraken are awesome, though not nearly as important to the overall plot and such forth as the Unofficial Fan Site made out. I would've liked to see them feature a little more. And the same with Minerva. I was half-expecting Artemis and Minerva to get together, even if I do think Holly and Artemis would make a better match, but she wasn't mentioned at all. I had this fear that Holly was going to die and that was why it was the last book. She's my absolute favourite character. I think that's about it. There was an instance of Mulch burping, which dwarves are supposedly unable to do because of the way they're anatomically structured. Plus I love the way he blasts himself around, he's a pretty great character too. Great villain too by the way. I'm sure you'll love/hate her just as much as you're supposed to...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Book sounds awesome, how have you already read it though? To my understanding it doesn't come out until 14th of July?

NutmegAngel said...

I go to a book club, and the librarian who runs it gets loads of proof copies of all different books in, and she just happened to get the new Artemis Fowl in along with a couple of others, so it might be a bit different to the version I read when it does come out. I can't remember exactly when it comes out, I thought it was early August though. Might be different in different countries though.