Thursday 17 September 2009

Rather Unexpected...

[I actually wrote this on Sunday, not today. I've just not been on laptop connected to internet since then.]

Well, today was a bit of an unexpected day. I was, as I described earlier, somewhat thrown in at the deep end with regard to Junior Church. Well, I say thrown in at the deep end, to be honest, I jumped although I was expecting the water to be a little shallower. Still, I enjoyed it. Then there was the whole playing around with a laptop thing, which I kinda decided to do off my own bat, but still, not something I would expect to do. I'm now lying on my bed, typing this into open office because I don't yet have wireless (and probably never will at home, it's a bit too unsecure for my parent's liking and I have to say I agree with them on that), on a laptop. Which I never really expected to have. I knew I'd probably get one before I went to uni, but I wasn't expecting my granddad to give me his old one, well before I'm going away. Seems to be working perfectly fine. Still getting used to the keyboard a bit, though thankfully there don't seem to be too many random letters in not quite the expected position. Anyway, that wasn't the most unexpected thing that happened today...

It appears that I can play the drums. Yeh, I say that as though I didn't realise it. I kinda didn't. Got to church this evening, and Buster apparently said to my mum that Hil wasn't here so it looked like we wouldn't have a drummer. Mum half volunteered me, so I thought why not and hopped on down, not really expecting anything to come of it. Hil duly turned up, but then said she didn't want to play, she wanted a night off. So all of a sudden, yes I was playing the drums at church. Bear in mind I have never played with a group before—a few months ago (maybe around Easter time, maybe before that even) we got the electric drums out and I had a bit of a go with mum. Since then I haven't played them. But I sat down and had a bash and it went pretty well. Talk about jumping in at the deep end (again, can't really say I was thrown in, it was my choice to go for it). I have to say though, I did quite enjoy it, especially when I was starting to get the hang of it. My dad said on the way home 'wasn't that a bit stressful', and to be honest, I never really felt that stressed. Church on a Sunday evening is an environment I feel very comfortable in, so I was okay with that. I think God had a hand in it too :D. In fact, I know he did, cos there is no way I could've done that in my own strength—I was shaking after my last clarinet exam, and clarinet is something I feel a heck of a lot more comfortable with than the idea of me playing drums. Apparently it sounded okay. Buster said I lost the beat slightly once or twice, but that I did pretty well over all, so I guess that was okay. So yeh, a bit of a day of firsts for me.

No comments: