Saturday 30 May 2009

Arctic Drift

By Clive Cussler, this is actually really good. The latest instalment in the Dirk Pitt series, which I've loved. When I read the blurb though, I thought oooh, dodgy, don't know if I'll like it. Particularly after I found Golden Budha (Oregon Files) to be a little disappointing and lacking in the usual excitement and technology and decent character. Global warming was the topic for this one. A miracle cure. Which instantly made me back off a bit, probably because of the mess James Patterson made of The Final Warning (Maximum Ride series) when he decided to introduce global warming to an otherwise fantastic series. So I felt a bit wary about reading it, but I figured I'd seen it in the library, wasn't going to cost me anything but time to read it, and if it was rubbish, I'd just stop.

It wasn't rubbish. Dirk Pitt (Sr) was on fine form, saving the world etc, and his two kids (still not entirely sure where they came from--I think they showed up randomly in an epilogue with no warning, but still, they're pretty neat) were certainly well written. I particularly like Summer (just to add, these 'kids' are in their twenties, so they're technically not kids I guess). Anyway, there's a nice ecological problem with mysterious stuff killing loads and loads of fish, perhaps linked to a 'green' buisnessman. Who, it turns out, is not so 'green' as he'd like people to think. The miracle cure is actually very believable! That was what stunned me most. And it was written so well, that even if it does seem a little far fetched to think there's a magical catalyst that'lll be randomly discovered that can stop global warming by turning carbon dioxide into oxygen, that didn't really affect the plot. To be fair, accidents are how most scientific discoveries seem to be made, and maybe it isn't far fetched. After all, this is the guy who predicted how the Titanic would be found and explored... before it happened. Let's hope Clive Cussler's right about this one too.

No comments: