Saturday 15 August 2009

The Napoleonic Wars (1) - The Rise of the Emporer 1805-1807

This was about the military campaigns, but I found it a little difficult to follow because I know virtually nothing about the French Revolution. It was, however, quite interesting as it describes how Napoleon was able to crush the huge empires that surrounded him. I was able to follow the actual fighting quite clearly, but the whys of the fighting were not quite as detailed in explanation. To be fair, it's a military history, so you don't expect there to be much detail with regard to that. I think the best part of these books is that they give you a detailed description of one soldier, not necessarily a very significant one either. So yeh, it's a pretty good overview of the military side, but there's not a huge quantity of detail. I have to admit, that though it has plenty of rather nice maps, I'm not the greatest lover of maps...

No comments: