Wednesday 8 April 2009

Golden Budha

This is the first book in the Oregon Files. It had a few too many intercontextual references for my liking. Kept mentioning suchabody or suchabody else as being like this or that, and as I didn't have a clue who the other people were, it was kinda annoying, as you can imagine. I've only read the Dirk Pitt books Clive Cussler's written before, and they're pretty great. I think I prefer the Dirk Pitt ones.

There were a few too many characters and most of them were not developed at all well. The action was pretty good, but confusing at times. The ending was also a little idealistic. One plus point was that the women were not just included for the men to seduce and to trick the men, as is often the case in the Dirk Pitt books (the first one was written thirty odd years back, so it's hardly surprising, it just gets a bit annoying).

On the whole, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't knock your socks off brilliant. I won't be going out my way to hunt for the other books in the series, but I might get them out the library eventually. While I'd highly recommend the Dirk Pitt series, this one doesn't get my vote. It's about average, which basically means don't bother to my mind, although it's not so terrible you feel you've completely wasted your time and you refuse to finish reading it.

No comments: