Thursday 30 April 2009

SE5/5a Aces of World War 1

Another Osprey book. Boy you're probably getting fed up of me reveiwing them. Especially because, as per usual, it was very well and professionally written, incorperated the diary extracts that were used well, gave lots of information about what happened to the pilots after the war, and had plenty of pictures to break up what could be a somewhat tedious book otherwise. Also, the books are kept down to pretty short, manageable sizes, despite the vast amount of detail they give. Given how long it's taking me to read another history book at the moment (will review when I eventually finish it), that's definitely a bonus.

One of the things that surprised me about this was the number of pilots who went on to fight again in WW2. I always just assumed it'd only be a handful, and I guess it probably was, but a lot of the pilots who survived the war did, it seems (amongst pilots of SE5/5a's at any rate) go on to fight with the RAF again.

Very interesting, but a bit of an anorak book I have to admit. So if you don't have a particular interest in aircraft or the first world war, I wouldn't really recommend it. If you do, however, it's worth getting hold of a copy. Although I do think they're quite expensive so I get them from the library.

No comments: