Wednesday 20 January 2010

The Wolf at the Door

This one's by Jack Higgins. I had wondered about getting it as soon as it came out, but I decided to wait and get it from the library. I have to say, I was glad I didn't buy it brand new. It was supposed to be in the Sean Dillon series. The amount of story actually about him was almost negligible, which was part of the reason I was so disappointed. It's a fine story, and it was, I have to say, better than I thought based on the blurb. From the blurb, it looked like it would be identical to the last few. Somebody's not happy with the Prime Minister's private army and their friends. Oh no! They have to fight their way out of a mess. Admittedly, the previous ones did this fairly well, but there is a limit to how many times you can care about the threat to the characters. Particularly when they've survived who knows how many attempts to kill them before. I think the book would've been better were it not a Sean Dillon one, but rather focussed on the bad guy (which it spent most of the book doing anyway), and had picked another target for the bad guy's attention. That side of things was interesting, but not what I was reading the book for. Well, it was worth reading, and I might get the paper back at some point, on the basis that I do have all the others. That was really the reason I decided to read it after having been disappointed with a couple of the more recent ones. Still, never mind. A good book, not as good as I'd hoped on the basis of earlier ones in the series, not as bad as I'd feared on the basis of the blurb.

No comments: