Monday 2 March 2009

Tramp in Armour

Another of the books I read on holiday and haven't got round to reviewing yet... I'm not far behind now though.

I've never been all that interested in tanks, but it looked quite interesting, and I'd heard that Colin Forbes was a good author. It's about what happens in WWII, when a tank gets stuck on the wrong side of the German advance. The tank commander determines that he's going to do something about it, once he's worked out what's happened and that his radio is completely useless. There are some nice little action scenes. I thought the last bit was perhaps a little rushed, could've done with more elaboration, and I have no idea what happened to the other guy (sorry about the vagueness, I don't want to spoil it for anyone, this is basically the ending). The characters weren't perhaps developed as much as I would've liked, but they kind of kept dying... I enjoyed it though. The action was good, and it's given me an appreciation of what it was like to be in a tank--it was quite clearly well researched, and there were foot notes at points to explain various things in relation to what was happening in reality at that point. I still prefer airplanes, but tanks are a lot more interesting than I first thought.

No comments: