Saturday 5 April 2008

Insane Characters

I'm telling you, the folks in Pterodactyl are insane. Take John for example. When I first started writing him, I thought he was a bit of an introvert who was really into jazz, and was best mates with the guy he shared a shift with. Two minutes after his creation, as I started writing him, it turned out that he was actually being beaten up by the other guy on his shift, but he didn't fight back because he could take the beatings that the other guy could dish out. Then the other guy pulled a knife on him and cut his back a bit, and John reacted really violently. Turns out he'd been seriously injured and has a gash the width of a hand running diagonally across his back and his left shoulder's a real mess. Plus this is something done within the last three months and hasn't yet properly healed. Took a while for me to work out how it had happened. Then it turns out he saved Yarev (who I thought was going to be my main main character at the start, but now he's just an equal member of the dozen or so VIC's in my story) from being crucified, and they're actually on the same team but both thought that everyone else was dead. John also happens to have a missile launcher in his room, is close friends with the supply pilots, which I never expected, and is actually fancied by one of them, though I haven't worked out whether he returns the sentiment yet. And John has recently revealed that he has jumped out the front windscreen of a moving aircraft before. He's led a very adventurous life. Then the others are all doing random things that I never expected too, and it'll take far too long to rant about them all, so I'll stop now. Suffice to say, I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this story, bar a very, very basic plot outline, which I will stick to. It basically goes: People are starting to die on the UN's new collaboration, Pterodactyl, a ship-carrying aircraft. It falls to a small group of friends to thwart the dastardly plans of the head captain. Of course, the bit about the head captain won't be released, because I'm trying to make everyone think that it's the head captain's brother. It's fun.

No comments: