Tuesday 27 January 2009

Shadow of the Minotaur

This is the first book in the Legendeer trilogy by Alan Gibbons. It's really, really good. He came to my school once, and I've got a signed copy of it :D and I read it last night. Yeh, I know, I should've gone to bed really, I'm tired now, I've stayed up late too many nights in a row, all the rest of it, but the truth was, I couldn't put it down. Ok, I've read it once before. But I love the going into a computer game idea. Perhaps it's done a little more creatively in Epic (can't remember the author, sorry), but you can hardly say it's done poorly in the Shadow of the Minotaur. Greek myths galore, and a teenage hero I found myself relating too. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I've been bullied too, and would like nothing better than to become a hero in a different world, able to deal with things in a different way, a way that seems more noble than tattling to teachers. Which I did in the end. But I have learnt how to escape into stories of my own. So maybe that's the good thing that's come out of it. Every cloud has a silver lining and all that. Still, it's a good book this one. I'd recommend it. It's not quite top of my list of books to recommend, but I wouldn't say don't bother with it. Worth the effort, and it's not a monster size like the Tom Clancy ones I've been reading, so it won't take too long anyway.

No comments: